If you are a homeowner in the Kansas City area hoping to prolong the lifespan of your roof as well as the interior structural components of your home, one of your best defenses will be in knowing the most common early warning signs of a leaking roof.
Check for These Five Signs of a Leaking Roof
- Water spots on your walls and/or ceilings. Check every location in your home to make sure no water is reaching those walls and/or ceilings, including inside closets and behind furniture.
- Dampness in any part of your attic or crawlspace. To inspect this area of your home, bring a flashlight to check for any dark spots on any wooden part of your attic/crawlspace, which likely indicate moisture damage. Simultaneously check for any soft spots in the wood, indicating that rot has already begun to occur. Look for dampness in your insulation, as well as mold or mildew growth.
- Damage on the flashing around your chimney, vents, pipes, skylights, etc., which will be visible using a ladder and binoculars or while standing in your yard in some instances. Flashing can often be repaired quickly, but the damage that can occur from water entering your home can be very costly.
- Missing, curling, or buckling shingles. If any spot on your roof shows problems with the shingles, it is a warning sign of a compromised water barrier. Correct the problem promptly to minimize damage.
- Algae, mold, or fungus growth on your roof, indicating that the layers underneath your shingles have absorbed moisture and are in need of repair.
Inspect for a Leaking Roof Twice Per Year
Most roofing professionals recommend checking your roof for leaks twice per year in order to minimize damages. DIY-minded homeowners may be interested in completing the roofing inspection independently, then contacting a professional if any repairs are deemed necessary. A roofing professional can also be contacted to complete an inspection in short order.
Those of you in the Kansas City area who would like more information or an estimate on any aspect of roof repair on a leaking roof are encouraged to contact Bill West. We are committed to top quality customer service.