Home maintenance during the winter can be expensive and time consuming. However, by preparing in advance, you can avoid problems while also saving on heating costs and keeping your family comfortable. Follow these tips from Bill West Roofing to winterize your Lees Summit home before the cold weather sets in.
<style=”display: inline;”=””> 1. Block Drafts—Simply blocking drafts from entering beneath doors can reduce your energy costs by 5 to 30 percent. Purchase a draft dodger snake or make your own before you turn on the heat this year.</style=”display:>
2. Windows—Another way to significantly reduce drafts is by insulating any drafty windows with an inexpensive plastic kit from your local hardware store.
3. Caulking and Weatherstripping—Seal gaps around your windows and doors and the entry points of any pipes or wires that run along the foundation of your Lees Summit house to reduce the amount of heat that might leak out.
4. Heating System—Check your entire heating system to ensure it is in good working order and stock up on fuel for propane or oil furnaces. Keep your family safe by installing a carbon monoxide test badge or alarm, if you do not already have one.
5. Furnace Filters—Clean or change your filter every month while your heating system is running to keep air flowing properly and energy costs low.
6. Insulation—Add extra insulation to your walls, attic floor, and the ceiling of your basement. If you install highly efficient insulation, you can receive 30 percent back (up to $1,500) from the federal government.
7. Sprinkler System—By the end of October, you should have removed all the water from your sprinkler system that could cause your pipes to burst when they freeze. To do this, turn off your water supply and blow compressed air through the lines.
8. Contract a Qualified Roofer—There are some tasks that you cannot handle alone, such as repairing your roof. For roof repair, it is necessary to contract a qualified professional roofer, like Bill West Roofing, who will be able to replace any missing tiles and damaged shingles, ensure you have no leaks around your chimney or other roof projections, and make sure your gutters and downspouts are in good working condition.
With more than 30 years in the roofing industry, at Bill West Roofing we know all the ins and outs of roofing. You can trust us to make sure your roof is in tiptop condition before winter officially arrives. Contact us at Bill West Roofing to a hire an experienced Lees Summit roofer to inspect your home.