If you are like most Kansas City homeowners, between shuttling your kids to practice, running errands, or even doing yard work, you probably don’t look at your roof very often. However, checking your roof regularly and making roof repairs as needed can prevent other costly fixes down the road – while keeping the rain outside, where it belongs.
There is another benefit to regular roof inspections: keeping your roof in good shape will pay off if you decide to sell your home.
When examining the exterior of your roof, pay attention to such things as missing shingles, buckling, damaged flashing, rotting, curling, blistering, buckling and algae (which appears as a dark or greenish stain). These are key indicators that roof repair work is needed.
The following are basic items to look out for during your roof inspection:
- Look for an excessive amount of large grains of sand in the gutters. These are shingle granules that have eroded from your roof. Excessive amounts of shingle granules indicate advanced wear.
- Visually inspect your roof for torn, cracked, broken, or missing shingles.
- Look for signs of moisture, mold or rot. Mold, fungi and bacteria grows quickly – it can start within 24 to 48 hours of a water-related issue.
- Ensure that all bath, kitchen and dryer venting leads outside your home, and not into the attic space.
- Check the roof drainage, and ensure that drains, gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and allow water to exit away from your roof.
- Check to make sure that the gutters and downspouts and gutters are attached securely to your roof.
Inspect Now – Before You Are Forced to Make Costly Repairs
Don’t wait to inspect your roof until water is seeping (or pouring) into your home because of a leaky roof. By then it will be too late. By making some simple observations, you can find small problems, and have a professional roofing contractor fix them, before needing to completely replace your entire roof. If you don’t feel confident about inspecting your own roof, call a professional roofer to inspect it for you. Once your roof is inspected, and any problems resolved and repairs made, you’ll rest easy knowing that your roof is in tip-top shape, and will remain that way for years to come.
Bill West Roofing has been providing quality roof repair and replacement services to the Kansas City, MO region for over 30 years. As a CertainTeed SELECT ShingleMaster roofing contractor we have the training and experience you need when your roof needs repair work. We won’t try to sell you on more than you need. At Bill West Roofing, we strive to give you a fair and competitive price with every roofing estimate. We will not substitute shoddy materials or workmanship to beat another roofer. While we understand that price matters in today’s economy, we will not cut corners on quality, materials, or insurance costs, but we will work hard to make sure you have the roof solution you need. Contact Bill West Roofing today!