Only a few roofing companies in Kansas City have taken on the responsibility to recycle their roofing materials when repairing or replacing a roof. Bill West Roofing is one of those companies and takes the “green building” commitment seriously. If you, the homeowner, care about reducing dependence on foreign oil, improving our environment, and keeping usable materials out of landfills, Bill West Roofing is the best choice of all roofing companies in Kansas City for your roof repair and replacement.
What is Green Building?
While just about everything these days seems to have a “green” label slapped on it, genuine environmentally conscious construction and demolition means using products with high recycled content, reducing greenhouse emissions during construction, and recycling as much of the construction waste as possible.
Bill West Roofing, one of the most environmentally sensitive roofing companies in Kansas City, uses roofing products made by CertainTeed, a manufacturer striving to meet high standards for ecologically friendly practices.
CertainTeed is Certainly Green
The company’s roofing products have between one and 50 percent pre- and post-consumer recycled content (slag, stone granules and corrugated paper). As a manufacturer, CertainTeed diverts more than 250,000 tons of materials a year from the waste stream.
Several of the company’s products, also, are Energy Star certified to reduce greenhouse gases by reflecting sunlight (lowering cooling costs).
Green Goes Global
Besides keeping valuable materials out of a landfill, recycling improves the local and global environment in other ways:
- Simplifying manufacturing reduces energy consumption
- Recycling is cheaper than paying landfill charges
- Fewer greenhouse gases enter the atmosphere
- America imports less foreign oil to make asphalt
Bill West Roofing Recycles
You may look at a torn, ragged shingle and think it is simply trash, but asphalt-fiberglass shingles and metal roofing nails are valuable scrap. The steps are simple:
- Bill West Roofing, ecologically among the best roofing companies in Kansas City, uses a dedicated bin for recyclable scrap and another for all other waste thereby ensuring your lawn and property is not strewn with litter.
- Your Kansas City home will yield around three tons of material, nearly all of which is recyclable.
- The bin is hauled to a recycler where powerful magnets separate the metals and grinders pulverize the shingles.
In short order, the asphalt in the shingles may make a new appearance as paving in a parking lot, state road, or interstate highway. In a way, eventually you could be driving on your old roof.
At Bill West Roofing, we take pride in our green roofing practices. When you are in the market for a new roof, contact Bill West Roofing and ask about our shingle recycling program along with CertainTeed’s shingle recycling program.